Training Programme Information:
- Cardivia Simulation Exercise
- Field Trip 1 (land based) to the Phuket Coastal Fisheries Research and Development Centre, Phuket Marine Biological Centre, Phuket Aquarium
- Group Exercise - Applying Tools for Managing Environmental Impacts in Coastal and Marine Environments
- Field Trip 2 (ocean based--aboard MV Fahsai) - Kai Nai Island and Mai Ton Island to view artificial reef substrate
deployment in response to destruction of natural coral reef, view impact of tourism on coastal areas, land reclamation, and multi-use port facilities.
- SWOT Exercise
- Atlantis Simulation Exercise
- Round Table Discussion with six International, Inter-governmental, Regional and National organisation representatives
2019 Training Programme
The 4th Training Programme on Regional Ocean Governance for the Southeast Asian Seas and the Indian Ocean was again successfully delivered in Hua Hin District, Prachub Khiri Khan Province in Thailand from 30 June to 27 July. IOI Thailand’s programme theme is based on an integrated ocean governance approach following the principles established in UNCLOS. The programme therefore focuses on an integrated, interdisciplinary, inter-regional and cross-cultural approach. It applies legal, ethical, environmental and economic principles with the support of science and technology aimed at realistic ocean management and sustainable development.
The training programme was designed to benefit policymakers and mid-career professionals having coastal or marine related functions or interests. For this training, many participants were government officials and the training helped widen their perspective and understanding of ocean governance.
13 participants from a wide range of disciplines and backgrounds were selected to attend this event. Six participants came from South and Southeast Asia, from Bangladesh, Cambodia, Indonesia, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Vietnam, with the remainder from Thailand. Local and international experts and practitioners delivered lectures, conducted classroom exercises and interactive discussions. Among the practical components that complimented the classroom discussions were conflict management exercises, a SWOT analysis, a round-table discussion and a coastal land use matrix exercise.
A report of the course is given in the 04/19 edition of the IOInforma which is available for download below or from the Publications - IOInforma News Bulletin section (0419 issue).