Duration of the Course
Total hours 20 (two hours/day including Q&A session)
Deadline of Application
Eligibility of the Applicants
Open to All interested individuals.
Under the auspices of IOI Ocean Academy HQ @Malta, International Maritime Management & Consultancy (IMMC) Singapore and IOI Singapore (Focal Point), the Ocean Literacy Training Programme on virtual platform is open to all interested individuals who want to enrich their knowledge about the Ocean, Our Source of Life and Livelihoods. Enhanced with new interesting add-ons, the Ocean Literacy Training Program will establish a good understanding about our Ocean as a symbol of our lifeline, management of our sustainable relationship with the Ocean, its rich resources, beauty and blessings and contributions towards our well-being. The course will also discuss the Ocean as a living entity, its bio-diversity, marine environment, concept of sustainability and application of blue economy for the Ocean related activities, business ventures and environmental shipping. A brief introduction of sustainable development, Rio+20 and United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs) 2030. Newly introduced interesting content on the latest happenings at Paris on the Plastic Pollution Treaty including Marine Environment has been included for updates.
• Understand the Mission and Vision of International Ocean Institute (IOI)
• Understand and apply a basic understanding of the Ocean and how to live in a more sustainable way with the Ocean.
• Ocean Literacy for All - How to Improve Ocean Education around the South East Asian Region and Global Perspective.
• Understand the linkages between sustainable and equitable human use, application of the principle of the common heritage of humankind, the needs of future generations.
• Identification and application of the knowledge acquired on bio-diversity and environmental protection, IMO regulatory compliance on marine pollution, MARPOL Annexes and future challenges in Ocean issues, locally and globally.
• Understand the basics of United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), Role of the Partnership in Environment Management for the Seas of East Asia (PEMSEA) and Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA)
• Plastic Pollution Treaty including Marine Environment
• Understand Basics of Blue Economy, its Application in maritime industry and Integrated Coastal Management (ICM)
• Learning of Marine ecosystem, Coastal erosion, Importance of Mangroves and impacts of their depletions.
• Understanding of Threats, Opportunities and Solutions related to Ocean.
• Understanding of Conservation and Management of Seabed Resources
• Environmental Shipping and the Global Climate Change Challenges
• IMO Strategy to Reduce GHG Emissions
For more info contact IOI Focal Point in Singapore, Jai Acharya: email@example.com
Please register by completing the Application Form below. All selected applicants will receive an email confirmation.